Licensure Information

Candidates who complete all program requirements and have awarded certificates or degrees are eligible to apply for a professional educator’s license. Applications for new initial licenses and updates to existing licenses should be submitted to the NCDPI Online Licensure System.

IMPORTANT: UNC Charlotte does not submit applications for professional educator licensure on behalf of candidates. Candidates must submit an application and pay the application fee before the TEAL Office can make a recommendation on their license to NCDPI. Candidates who complete a teacher education program at UNC Charlotte and successfully apply for an initial professional educator’s license will have their application fee refunded to the credit/debit card used for payment within 30 days of their license being issued.

To submit an application, candidates will need:

  • Debit/credit card payment information
  • An official UNC Charlotte electronic transcript that reflects an awarded certificate/degree; eTranscripts are available free of charge through Banner Self-Service
  • Court documents (if applicable)
  • Experience verification documents (if applicable)
  • Work authorization documents (if applicable)

Once applications are submitted, TEAL will upload:

  • Previous college transcripts (for Graduate Certificate in Teaching completers)
  • Licensure test scores that have been submitted to UNC Charlotte; NCDPI must also receive an official copy of all scores directly from the testing vendor (Praxis/Pearson)
    • Note: Passing scores on all required exams must be provided to UNC Charlotte before graduates with a lateral entry, residency, or any other type of alternative license can be recommended for a “clear” professional educator’s license.

All candidates should read TEAL’s Licensure FAQ site and Application Instructions before submitting an application.

The Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC) has also created a series of tutorials that may be helpful.

Information on School Social Work licensure, offered through the College of Health and Human Services, is available here.

Questions regarding NC licensure can be directed to the Licensure Officer in TEAL:

Ms. Liz Adkisson
Director and Licensure Officer
COED 119