Applicants to the Graduate Certificate in Teaching must meet the following requirements:
- A four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited institution
- An overall GPA of at least 2.75; an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher will be considered with very strong recommendations*
- For Middle Grades, Secondary, Foreign Language, and CTE concentrations, one of the following:
- For Foreign Language (except Chinese, French, German, or Spanish) concentrations:
- Full-time employment as a teacher in the program content area
- Completed application with the Graduate School, including:
- Two online professional recommendations coming from individuals in a supervisory capacity (i.e. principal or manager) and/or academic reference (i.e. professor)
- A satisfactory statement of purpose
- Signed Commitment to Disposition form
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended during or after high school
- Satisfactory results from a criminal background check. View the full Cato COED CBC and Drug Screening Policy here.
*Applicants with an overall GPA below 2.7 can pursue admission through GPA forgiveness.
**It is strongly recommended that you contact Ms. Cassandra Himes (firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-8727) to have your background coursework reviewed prior to submitting an application with the Graduate School.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to https://gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/apply to allow time to register before class begins. Applications must be completed (i.e., all required documents submitted) by the following deadlines:
Fall Admission: August 9th for all concentrations except Art Education which is August 1st
Spring Admission: December 1st
Summer I Admission: May 15th
Summer II Admission: June 15th
Available Start Terms
Fall, Spring, and Summer: B-K, CTE, Elementary Education, ESL, Foreign Language, Middle, Secondary, and Special Education
Fall and Spring only: Art
- Ms. Cassandra Himes (email@example.com), 704-687-8727) for questions about B-K, CTE, Foreign Language, Middle, Secondary, and TESL programs
- Ms. Ashley Langan (firstname.lastname@example.org), 704-687-8882) for questions about Elementary Education and Special Education programs
- Ms. Tesh Ramey (email@example.com, 704-687-8182) for questions about the Art Education program
- Ms. Jadah Nicholson (firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-687-7353), for general questions.
Please join our virtual drop-in sessions on Mondays from 3-4 p.m. and Wednesdays from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. to inquire about the Graduate Certificate in Teaching and receive application support.