The Graduate Certificate in Teaching is an initial licensure program. Students who complete the certificate may apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and count their certificate coursework towards completion of the degree. Graduates from the M.A.T. will be eligible for advanced, M-level licensure. Traditional M.Ed. or M.A. programs are designed for teachers who are already fully licensed and wish to directly pursue advanced, M-level licensure.

No. Pursuing licensure through a second bachelor’s degree often takes substantially longer than doing so through the Graduate Certificate in Teaching. Also, undergraduate courses are typically offered during the day instead of in the evening or online.

The length of time for completion varies with the number of courses needed for each program, though most students complete their program in two years or less. Please work closely with your advisor to plan out your schedule of courses and to determine the time frame that works best for you.

Costs vary by concentration (which have between 16-21 credit hours), but candidates should expect tuition and fees to total approximately $5000-$6,000+. Up-to-date pricing information is available here: https://ninercentral.uncc.edu/billing-payments-refunds/tuition-and-fees.

Yes. All students will complete a full-time, semester-long internship. The Office of School and Community Partnerships (OSCP) will facilitate your placement. If you are currently teaching with a lateral entry or residency license, you will complete this internship in your own classroom. If you are a full-time teacher assistant, you may be able to complete this internship in your current position. Contact OSCP (704-687-8812 or oscp-coed@charlotte.edu) to confirm.

No. Required internships and other clinical experiences must be completed in North Carolina P-12 schools. This applies to both distance education and on-campus concentrations of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching.

Yes. Candidates must have a four-year degree from an accredited institution. Some concentrations require a specific major or 21 hours of background coursework. See the concentration planning sheets for more details.

No. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree are not required to take the Praxis Core before being admitted to a teacher education program.

Official transcripts may be sent electronically to gradapponline@charlotte.edu or mailed to UNC Charlotte, Graduate Admissions, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223. This link provides additional information regarding transcripts. 

Candidates cannot be admitted without 21 hours of relevant background coursework or passing scores on licensure content exams to concentrations in the Graduate Certificate in Teaching that require them. However, an advisor in TEAL can work with you to identify any deficiencies that exist and find courses that will satisfy missing requirements.

All applicants will receive an official decision letter via email when one has been reached. Decisions are typically made on applications 2-4 weeks after all components have been submitted and the application becomes ready to review.

If you are admitted for a summer session, you can defer your admission until the fall.  If you are admitted to a fall or spring term and need to change your start date, you will need to submit a new application.

Graduate Certificate in Teaching requirements must be completed within five years of your first course.  The M.A.T. requirements must be completed within a seven years of beginning your first course in the certificate.

Your admission letter lists your faculty advisor at the bottom. Contact that advisor for assistance with registering for courses. Planning sheets are available here.

Yes! Contact Ms. Ashley Langan (704-687-8189 or alangan1@charlotte.edu), Ms. Cassandra Himes (704-687-8727 or chimes1@charlotte.edu), or Ms. Jadah Nicholson (704-687-7353 or jnicho54@charlotte.edu) to make an appointment.

Candidates are also welcome to join our virtual drop-in sessions on Mondays from 3-4 pm and Wednesdays from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm to inquire about the Graduate Certificate in Teaching.

Join the virtual meetings here.

Lateral entry teachers clearing their license through RALC should apply as “Post-Baccalaureate – Regional Alternative Licensing Center” students and submit their RALC plan of study with their application. Once admitted, you will work with Ms. Liz Adkisson (704-687-8882 or ecsmith@charlotte.edu) in TEAL to register for courses. If you plan to clear your license through the Graduate Certificate in Teaching, even if you have a RALC plan of study, you must apply directly to the program.

You will meet the EPP enrollment requirement for a residency license when you have been admitted to the Graduate Certificate in Teaching and enrolled in your first course(s). Form RLs verifying enrollment should be sent to Ms. Liz Adkisson (residencylicensure@charlotte.edu) for completion only after your employing school district has completed the LEA portion.